• Admissions to

    Sparkenhoe Community School


The school helps children with a wide variety of special needs calling upon the Health Authority and School Psychology Service if necessary.

Miss Burns our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) supports teachers in developing appropriate work for children with special needs and she is always willing to talk to parents if they have any concerns.

For children who need more support they may qualify for an education, health and care (EHC) plan which is for children who need more support than is available through special educational needs support. EHC plans identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.

The Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) will be involved in discussing ideas to use as well as monitoring the situation.

Who to Contact?

If you have any concerns about your child and would like to discuss any difficulties, please talk to your child’s teacher, Miss Burns (SENCO) or a member of senior staff, Miss Jones, Mr Cheetham or Mrs Cooper.

What do we mean by ‘Special Needs’? There are many things which include:

  • Needing extra help with learning – this may be long term or short term perhaps because of illness.
  • Physical needs or impairments
  • Medical – taking medicine daily, needing help with mobility, PE, physiotherapy or occupational therapy
  • Seeing, hearing or speaking problems
  • Specific Learning Difficulties (This includes Dyslexia – when a child has special difficulties with reading words or numbers)
  • Emotional difficulties
  • Behavioural difficulties or ability to socialise, eg not being able to make friends
  • Concentration levels, eg they have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

SEND Local Offer

SEND Information Report for Parents

Talk to your child’s teacher if you think your child needs:

  • a special learning programme
  • extra help
  • to work in a smaller group
  • observation in class or at break
  • help taking part in class activities
  • extra encouragement in their learning, eg to ask questions or to try something they find difficult
  • help communicating with other children
  • support with physical or personal care difficulties, eg eating, getting around school safely or using the toilet